Letters resume - Harry wounded.

To get an idea of Harry's situation in the grand scheme of things, it is worth following the link to the Battalion's War Diary.


As you can read in today's letter, Harry is in C Company. Their movements are mentioned from time to time in the Diary. It may help to put Harry's letters into context if the dates are considered.

September 23rd 1917.

Dear Jack

I have received your letter and I got the cigs alright. You did not mention about the mug you had got for Willie it will be very nice. I will tell Ethel he has to use it. The raid you read about in the papers was made by our Battalion. B Coy went over and we, no 12 platoon C. Coy stood to. It was made to get a prisoner or two, to get information which they did, they lost one man and two wounded, it happened about five one morning. I got a slight wound in the face with shrapnel but not much it is alright now, I did not go to the doctor. There as been a big advance this last day or two but I have been left out. We get left out in turns.we are expecting our Coy out tonight. We have some rough times out here but I think the Germans have it rougher. We have to make the best of it. I should be glad when it is all over. John Bull watched us march past just over a week ago on our way to the trenches. I think we were the best batt in the Brigade, well in the division. I am pleased you’re keeping well and that they are keeping well at home. The rations have been very low lately, four and five to a loaf and small loaves too, that is the days bread. Write back as soon as possible, I’m always pleased to get a letter from you. Kate keeps sending me a small parcels which come in very nice, I hope she gets on alright at her fresh situation. I’m just going to write to Ethel.

With best love

from Harry.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hats off to you! A taste of history to be sure. Yahoo did good to put this on the fore-front so to key interest. Most of our nation is now "history brain dead" and it shows in the stupid mistakes we make, over and over and over again - all the way to the top. Maybe this will spur some interest in a subject as important as math and science. More needs to be done. Thanks.

TLC said...

Texas Yank here. Really enjoying this. Just read several of the Wordsworth Military Library Series on WWI (Loos,Mons,1916 Somme,Jutland). This puts a face to it.

Thanks.

Anonymous said...

Great Blog. I fully agree with the anonymous comment. My great uncle was on the Somme and my father a POW in WW2. Nowadays I meet graduates who haven't a clue who McMillan or Kennedy were. How can so many know so little of our nation's past. Cenotaphs are inscribed "Lest we forget". Rings a bit hollow doesn't it. Thanks for bringing a little bit of history back to life, albeit from a tragic time. I will definitely continue to follow Harry's story.

Anonymous said...

iam 64years old and knew men who fougt in the first war .all my life ive been in awe of every last one of them from both or all sides bvc

Brett Hagan said...

This is great man I personally think you should make this into a book it would be great!!!I would definately buy it fo sho!!!

Immanuel Lutheran School said...

Our school is studying this. I recommend it for other schools.

Timpleton said...

It is unfortunate that we do not know that he survived. Imagine all the things that he saw but did not put in letters.