Letters to Jack & Kate, 2nd October 1919

Oct 2/10/19
40843/1st Garr Batt
Royal Munster Fusiliers
A.P.O Box R L9
I.E.F. Italy

Dear Jack
I have received your letter alright and I am very pleased to hear that you are going on alright. I think it is a good job that you got the furniture before the railway strike came off as you might have lost it altogether. I don't think it is hardly worth while writing now, but you see it is a long while without leave thirteen months, and the war finished as they have been going at six months from Fuime out of the Y & L. I have seen some of them on the train at a place called Alexandra. I went down for a day's outing there and they were just going back off leave, they tell me what a fine place it is. There is a big do on at Rome next week and some of the R Cs [Roman Catholics] have got a chance to go for 7 days. I wish I belonged to the R.C. I might have had a chance I should have liked to have seen Rome before I left Italy. I hope to be out of this country before November is out and I might stand a chance of getting demobilised before Christmas. I would be satisfied then.. anyway we shall have to wait and see as leave as been stopped here to let the men get home that joined up before 1st July 1916. I think they have plenty of work at Trumans now but I don't know whether I shall go back or not. It will not be very nice at first being shut up after being out in the fresh air for about 3 years. Well theres one good thing to be thankful for. The place I visit is the chief place in the province of Alexandra and about as big as Nottingham. Write as often as you can.
With Best Love to you both
Harry


Oct 2/10/19
40843/1st Garr Batt
Royal Munster Fusiliers
A.P.O Box R L9
I.E.F. Italy

Dear Kate
I was very pleased to receive a letter from you and to hear that you are keeping in good health. I am sorry that Connie does not get on with her walking but we shall have to make the best of it. I have wrote to Annie so I expect I shall get a letter before long. There is no signs of me getting demobilised yet as there is some men here yet that come up here in April 1916. If I could get a leave , I could easily get demobed when I got to England but the thing is getting there as there is no leave going from here, only odd ones they are only men for demobilisation, but any way I hope to be home for Christmas. Write as often as you can and let me know all the news. I had a letter from Ethel and she said that Willie as had a cold but he is a lot better now. I hope he keeps in good health. The weather hear is very cold at night but the sun gets out well during the day. I will write and let you know if I hear anything about getting home.
With best Love
Harry

Not such good news about Connie. Harry seems to have had high hopes that the school in Liverpool would do some good. BL

3 comments:

Kittybriton said...

Here's to you getting back in time for Christmas Harry. Goodness knows, you've done your bit and then some! I had no idea you would be kept hanging around overseas for so long, and as you say, I can understand that an indoor job will take a bit of getting used to after being outside so much but I know your family will be happy to have you home safely.

Sgt Sam Avery said...

Hello Harry:
Sorry to hear you're still stuck in the same spot, but hopefully you'll be home by Xmas. At least you're not being shot at as I soon will be again. Finally got out of the hospital and am enroute back to the Company. Big doings ahead I think. Stop by for a read since you must have so much free time.

Best Regards,
Sam

Alan Kirby said...

Great blog! I just started reading it...going to skip back to the 1st entry and catch up with everyone else as soon as I can